After an accident, a person will have quite a few expenses they need to take care of. If they did not cause the accident, this should be covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance company. It is important for a person to understand just what the settlement should cover so they can determine if they need to hire an auto accident attorney in Emporia, KS to help them obtain all of the compensation they’re entitled to.
• Present and future medical bills. The present medical bills for the accident as well as any future medical bills that directly relate to the person’s injuries from the accident should be included in the settlement offer. This varies depending on how severe the person’s injuries are.
• Car repair or replacement bills. The amount a person receives and the decision between repair or replacement depends on the value of the vehicle and the severity of the damages. However, there should be an amount included to cover either the repair or the replacement of the vehicle.
• Lost wages. If the person is seriously injured and has to miss a significant amount of time at work, they might be able to acquire compensation for their lost wages. The amount depends on their wages and how long they had to miss work to recover or if they are able to go to work again.
• Legal fees. The legal fees for the victim should be covered by the at-fault driver or their insurance company if the person needs to hire a lawyer to obtain the proper amount of compensation for the accident.
• Other expenses. Other expenses may be added into the settlement, including compensation for a rental vehicle for the time they couldn’t use their own or punitive damages in rare cases which are meant to punish the person who caused the accident.
These are just a few of the expenses an auto accident attorney in Emporia, KS will help their client recover. It’s important for a person to consult with an attorney before accepting any settlement so they can be sure they’re obtaining the proper amount from the at-fault driver or their insurance company. Visit us website today to learn more.