Drowsy driving is an emerging (and alarming) trend. When a driver can barely keep his or her eyes open, they put other motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians at risk. Drowsiness not only diminishes a driver’s reaction time, but it also decreases their capacity to make good decisions. Here, potential clients will learn about drowsy driving, its disastrous effects, and how an Accident Lawyer in Murfreesboro TN can help them move on afterward.
The Most Common Drowsy Driving Causes
Most cases of drowsy driving are caused by insufficient sleep, but certain situations, in turn, cause drowsiness. These include:
- Not getting enough sleep
- Working the overnight shift
- Over-the-counter and prescription medicines
- Driving for an extended period with no breaks
- Unresolved medical issues
To minimize the chances of an accident caused by drowsy driving, be on the lookout for these causes and do what’s possible to prevent them.
Drowsy Driving: The Signs
There’s no hard-and-fast way to tell when a person is too tired to safely drive. When tiredness ensues, it affects a driver’s ability to make safe decisions, and they may assume that they can drive. To make an accurate determination, look for these signs:
- Difficulty keeping eyes open
- Drifting out of the lane
- Missing traffic signals and signs
- Feelings of restlessness and irritability
If any of these signs are noticed, pull over and rest.
Drowsy Driving Prevention Tips
To ensure that they’re not too tired to drive, a person can take these steps:
- Get enough sleep before setting out, especially on long road trips
- Bring a friend on long trips so there’s a ‘relief’ driver
- Don’t rush and take plenty of breaks
- Don’t drink any alcohol
- Read the labels on over-the-counter and prescription medicines to ensure that they won’t cause drowsiness
These are just some of the things motorists can do to prevent drowsy driving.
Consult an Auto Accident Attorney
If a drowsy driver causes an accident with injuries, the victim needs an Accident Lawyer in Murfreesboro TN. Visit the Site to learn more about the firm or call the Law Office of Gritton & Gritton PLLC to request a no-obligation consultation.